Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Album Review: Icehouse - Man of Colours (1987)

Icehouse is a band that should have received more coverage and accolades than it ever actually did.  Much of the songwriting is superb, the lyrics spot on.  All around, a great, yet underrated group.  Listening to Man of Colours, I haven't been disappointed at all - the first three songs - "Crazy", "Electric Blue" and "Nothing Too Serious" - most people in Australasia will have heard those on the radio, and the rest - well, generally bloody good, as I was hoping for, and happily, what I ultimately got.  "Heartbreak Kid" begins sounding a tad like Phil Collins and moves onward sounding more like mid-eighties Heart, to my unexpected delight.  "Anybody's War" is a bit of a tease, with verses that build up to choruses that peter out with near immediacy.  Much to my unexpected disappointment, of course.  I'm even hearing titbits of Chris Rea in here, as "The Kingdom" seems to suggest at points.  "Man of Colours" is good, but of little interest to me, and what's left of the album, whilst competent, doesn't do a huge amount for me, either.  In summary, would I consider this to be a good album?  Absolutely, even if anticipation lets me down from time to time.  Definitely recommended.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment