Search This Blog

Saturday, February 8, 2020

Album Review: Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (1971)

Some big name albums are what I would like to call 'half hits, half shit' - half of the album is full of hits songs that everyone knows and that everyone knows from every hits compilation that particular band put out.  The rest, of course, is either bollocks, or utter bollocks.  Led Zeppelin IV isn't one of  those albums - opening with the well-known personal fave of mine "Black Dog" and finishing with the unspoken gem "When the Levee Breaks", the two songs that come closest to sucking are "The Battle of Evermore" and "Four Sticks."  But whilst they're not the kinds of songs to get my head moving, not by a long shot, they're nowhere near rubbish territory, either.  "Stairway to Heaven" is the hit I listen to the least, not because it's bad, but because I more often than not have the attention span of an insect.  But when I am in the mood to expose my ears to it, I'm quick to fall into a state of appreciation and respect for it and its legacy.  "Black Dog" and "Rock and Roll" are ultimately the top two songs here - but I'd suggest giving the likes of  "Going to California" a bit of your ear time as well.  A very good album, probably not as good as Physical Graffiti for me, but owning this album is a definite must for any classic rock enthusiastic who prefers a more physical approach to collecting music.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment