Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Album Review: Blondie - Parallel Lines (1978)

It's rather difficult for me to explain exactly what I think about Parallel Lines by Blondie.  I've heard most of these songs, albeit in alternate variants - "Sunday Girl" has a French verse on the Greatest Hits version and "Heart of Glass" is shorter and of a different (and frankly better) mix as well.  But Blondie's punk roots show up much better on this album than they do on the aforementioned Greatest Hits compilation - just listen to "11:59", for instance, and you can clearly hear the Ramones' sound starting to rub off on them. "Will Anything Happen" is perhaps even more pronounced, in that regard.  "Hanging on the Telephone" and "One Way or Another" are the other two singles that I'm quite fond of, and I just might consider playing "Just Go Away" a few more times, and then perhaps go away.  I was expecting something better from this album - if it weren't for the hits, it'd be a tad tepid, to be honest.  But the hits are what make this album worth listening to, even if they're in their inferior, original forms.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment