Search This Blog

Saturday, November 16, 2019

Album Review: The Cars - The Cars (1978)

Sometimes I come across an album, particularly a 'classic' album, that I find that you don't really need to own at all - I'm looking at you, Hotel California by the Eagles - and deduce that all the good stuff can just as easily be found on one of their Greatest Hits compilations.  The Cars' self-titled debut album is one of those albums.  A good deal of their best and best-known songs are here - "Just What I Needed", "Good Times Roll", "My Best Friend's Girl" to name a few, but there are a couple of duds that make tracking down the album simply not worth it.  I'm not particularly fond of tracks four and five - "I'm in Touch With Your World" is simply weird, and "Don't Cha Stop" isn't particularly flash itself, although the other filler track, "All Mixed Up", is certainly something I would go back to now and again.  I will conclude by arguing that this is indeed a good album on the whole, but if it's easier for you to track down one of their compilation albums and get everything that's good here on that, then chasing this one down, especially in an age where CDs are becoming more scarce by the day, is simply not worth your time.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment