Search This Blog

Saturday, November 23, 2019

Album Review: The Who - Who's Next (1971)

Not every classic album is a good album, and I've most likely said that a million times before.  Hotel California by the Eagles is most notably my least favorite, and Music From Big Pink by The Band is another dud classic that springs to mind.  I've been listening to Who's Next by The Who, and to be frank, there's not a lot going for it, either, despite its overwhelming critical appraisal.  Bookended by hits "Baba O' Riley" and "We Won't Get Fooled Again", the only other songs that show any real sign of promise from my point of view are "The Song is Over" and "Behind Blue Eyes", and even then they're not enough to get me up and dancing about.  Everything else in between - well, I wouldn't call them bad, put it that way.  But they're hardly exciting, either.  Like every classic album I listen to, I enter expecting greatness, and for the most part they seldom fail to deliver.  But sometimes there are exceptions, and this album sadly just doesn't float my boat.  It might prove to be a different kettle of fish as far as you're concerned - hence, I would still recommend people listen to it for their own reference.  Otherwise, meh.  Next please.  B


No comments:

Post a Comment