Search This Blog

Saturday, October 12, 2019

Album Review: The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (1971)

The Rolling Stones, for me at least, were a band that were massive, always there, but I never found the time to get around to listening to them, outside of traditional media streams such as the radio, of course.  I always liked their hits to varying degrees - "Brown Sugar" and "Emotional Rescue" are the top two for me - but like some other megastar artists-slash-bands I never felt compelled to listen to any of their albums.  Up until now, that is.  Initially  I was looking to check out Exile on Main Street, but instead found myself listening to Sticky Fingers instead.  Waking up half asleep does have its surprises, I must admit.  But I'm glad my sleep-deprived proclivities led me down this path, as Sticky Fingers can only be described as bloody brilliant, energetic and yet comfortably sluggish and borderline melancholic at the same time.  Surprisingly, it was easy to pick the weakest song on the album - "Moving On" is good, but it's not quite in the same league as the rest of the album.  Taking "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" out of the equation, despite being as good as they really are, what's ultimately left is still a pleasurable glut of songs well worthy of crawling their way up the billboard charts like they should have been doing.   "Sway", "Dead Flowers" and "Bitch" are the best of a brilliant bunch of songs, again, save for "Brown Sugar."  "Sister Morphine", "I Got the Blues" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" all make for mandatory listening as well.  An excellent album if ever I saw one.  I'm buying this one.  If you haven't already, you should too.  A+


No comments:

Post a Comment