Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Album Review: Paul McCartney and Wings - Band on the Run (1973)

One of my favorite greatest hits albums is Wingspan: Hits and History by Paul McCartney and Wings.  Granted, there is a ton of songs to be found on that album, and a lot of them aren't that brilliant.  On the other hand, a lot of them are.  My fondness for it isn't because it's filled with non-stop A grade hits - rather, I played the shit out of it for most of the year 2005, a year for which I have many, many fond memories.  And many of those songs took me back to a time where life was much more fun, even when I was doing things at the height of my own personal idiocy.  Not content with relegating myself to the hits, I thought I'd have a go at one of his/their more notable studio works - Band on the Run from 1973.  I very much like it.  I wouldn't say I love it.  But I could've easily have found myself a bit disappointed with it.  On the contrary, there are some remarkable unknown numbers buried on this album.  "Mrs. Vandebilt", "Country Dreamer", "Picasso's Last Words (Drink to Me)" and "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five" are rather pleasant, and then of course you have the hits - "Jet", "Band on the Run" and "Helen Wheels."  I'm also somewhat 50/50 on "Mamunia."  Yeah, I'd definitely say I like it.  It may even grow on me even further, who knows?  Give it a go I say.  B+


No comments:

Post a Comment