Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Album Review: Yngwie Malmsteen - Trilogy (1986)

In light of my lukewarm reception of Eclipse back in 2016, I'm finding listening to the better appraised Trilogy to be more or less in agreement with the general critical consensus, and of course, it is proving itself to be a much better album.  In this instance, I'm somewhat less mesmerized by Malmsteen's ever brilliant guitar prowess and more interested in Mark Boals' badly underrated, near-operatic metal vibrato, which is perhaps best emphasized by songs like "Liar", "Queen in Love" and "Magic Mirror."  The first three songs - "You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget", "Liar", and "Queen in Love", are already familiar to me, and I'm warming rather quickly to "Fury", "Magic Mirror" and the instrumental "Trilogy Suite: Op 5."  There's another instrumental, "Crying", which is OK, but inferior to the former, and "Fire" is probably the weakest point on the record, but it's far from being filler material.  I anticipated a very good album, and again, I got one.  One of the finest albums neoclassical metal has to offer.  I personally recommend you give it a chance.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment