Search This Blog

Saturday, October 5, 2019

Album Review: Santana - Abraxas (1970)

I've tried listening to Santana's music in the past and I never got past the likes of "Smooth" or "Black Magic Woman."  However, now that I've listened to one of their albums in its entirety I'm more than prepared to explore Carlos Santana's music even further.  I've just been listening to Abraxas, an album that I have been curious about for some time now.  It's one of Santana's most revered albums, and it's not to difficult to see why.  If you love a solid album with plenty of great guitar riffs and the like, then look no further.  Looking beyond their average-ish cover version of Fleetwood Mac's "Black Magic Woman" there is so much here that I would consider to be rather good (albeit mostly instrumental jobs, save for the likes of the aforementioned "Black Magic Woman", "Mother's Daughter" and "Hope You're Feeling Better").  Santana is revered as a guitar god of sorts, and there is certainly no shortage of his guitar virtuosity on display.  My favorite here is "Incident at Neshabur", followed by "Se a Cabo" and "Hope You're Feeling Better."  The weakest point of this album for me is the opening track, "Singing Winds, Crying Beasts", which perhaps isn't the best song to open the album, but then again, one should never judge an album by its opening track.  I'm not too sure if this album would compel me to go out and buy a physical copy (assuming I can actually find one, of course), but I'm quite happy to admit that I'm more than prepared to listen to it again and again if the mood strikes me.  Well, onto the saved list it goes, I guess.  A great album, full of great songs.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment