Search This Blog

Monday, November 7, 2016

Album Review: Queen - A Night At The Opera (1975)

I've been itching to review a Queen album for a while now, and I've always cherished the three Greatest Hits albums that they've released since 1992. And now, I've finally got around to listening to what is supposed to be one of their better albums, A Night At The Opera from 1975.  And I have to say that I'm a tad disappointed with it.  There are some noteworthy and interesting songs on it, such as "Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon", "'39", staples such as "You're My Best Friend" and obviously "Bohemian Rhapsody."  But on the whole it feels tedious and drawn out, which for me reproduces the feeling of being at an Opera very well (hence the title), and perhaps I should've known better by the title.  But of course, this album is not trying to sound like "Keep Yourself Alive" or "Stone Cold Crazy", and slow tempos aren't my forte.  But why "I'm in Love With my Car" reminds me of Pink Floyd I will never fully understand.  I myself would steer well clear of "The Prophet Song" and "Love of my Life" - too tedious for my liking.  I do find myself going back to the wonderful Brian May-led "'39" and "Seaside Rendezvous", though.  That's the Queen I know and like.  B


No comments:

Post a Comment