Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Dave's 10 Favorite Albums to Date

The following is a list of my 10 favorite albums to date. The genre's are mixed, so there's all sorts of music here, like pop, metal etc. There's also some music here that may force some to question my musical tastes, mental health, maybe even my sexuality. Not that I care, If it sounds good, I'll listen to it, and that's how more people should be thinking, in my opinion. Please note that, as this list reflects my favorite albums to date this list is subject to change.

1. Master of Puppets - Metallica

My favorite all-time album, partly because of its legendary status, partly because it has the best instrumental of ANY album, band and genre, and partly because it kicks ass all around. In some ways Ride the Lightning and Metallica are equal contenders, but each are merely Whistler's Mother compared to 'Puppets'' Mona Lisa. A+

2. Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen

Growing up in the eighties, "I'm on Fire" is one of the songs that got me switched on to music. And when I first heard "Dancing in the Dark" I had to go out and buy his Greatest Hits compilation. And when it finally came around to buying this album, I regarded as my best buy of the year, if not the decade. Not one song on this album is crappy. If you don't have it, go and get it. A+

3. The Raw and the Cooked - The Fine Young Cannibals

I loved Roland Gift's distinctive voice, I loved the music, I loved the album. I liked the album cover too, although the CD inlay's contents are a little confusing. A+

4. Metallica - Metallica

1991, and two landmark albums were released. The first was Nevermind by Nirvana, the second was Metallica's self-titled album, their biggest selling LP and the one that broke them into mainstream music. Bob Rock may have sent them in the direction of musical treason (as far as Metallica fans were concerned) but he sure did it in style. A

5. Graceland - Paul Simon

When I first heard Simon & Garfunkel's 52nd Street Bridge Song, I wanted to put myself out of my misery. I hated it, it was worse than a fat lady singing opera. But it seems Paul Simon had made up for this cacophonic monstrosity by releasing one the most adventurous, creative and bold albums I've ever heard. A

6. Rust Never Sleeps - Neil Young

Some things are an acquired taste. Others hit you like a ton of bricks instantly. This album does a little of both. The acoustic songs sound as if Neil was angel sent from Heaven to teach 70's musos how music should be made. On the other hand, the electric songs suffered from ear-bleeding distortion, which to begin with sounded horrible, but eventually grew on me. It's small wonder that music critics rate this album highly. A-

7. Spreading the Disease - Anthrax

Anthrax is one of those more eccentric thrash metal bands. Most heavy metal artists sing songs about death, or the fallen one known as Satan, and occasionally war. Anthrax, on the other hand, write songs at random. What other metal band, or any other band for that matter, write songs about milk? 1991's Attack of the Killer B's is probably one of the strangest albums ever made, but the same cannot be said about 1985's Spreading the Disease. Melodic, fast and heavy, this should, by all rights, be considered one of the finest heavy metal albums ever made. But that accolade by majority consensus goes to 1987's Among the Living, which for me is not quite as good, but still makes you want to live. A

8. She's So Unusual - Cyndi Lauper

Some people may question my sexuality for giving praise to this album, but hell, I like it. Not only does it bring back memories, but like Born in the USA, not one song on this album bores me. A+

9. Ride the Lightning - Metallica

Not as polished as "Puppets", not as commercially successful as the "Black Album", "Lightning" still makes you want to break your neck for a good cause. And the cause is thrash metal. "The Call of Ktulu" and "Escape" are the low points on this album, however, they're still listenable. A

10. The Wall - Pink Floyd

A rock masterpiece on one hand, a suicide tool on the other, this rock opera by Roger Waters stirs the emotions like Animal from the muppets with a blender. If only they'd put the bloody track listing on the back of the frickin' CD! A

No comments:

Post a Comment