Search This Blog

Saturday, March 7, 2020

Album Review: ZZ Top - Tres Hombres (1973)

I love ZZ Top.  I absolutely love them.  I especially love their eighties synth boogie stuff like Eliminator and Afterburner, both of which to this day remain my very favorite albums of theirs.  I also have their Greatest Hits album with some of their earlier hits on it (a very good record too, I should add).  But today, I've only just got around to listening to their earlier blues-based stuff.  And boy is it good, or what?  Great musicianship, great riffs.  Great songs all around.  "La Grange" is the hit that brought me here - much better than the remixed version from Greatest Hits, and "Waiting for the Bus" and "Jesus Just Left Chicago" are two of the better ways that you can open an album on.  And "Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers" and "Sheik" are two more ditties that you can proud to say that you enjoy listening to.  Weaker points?  I'd probably say "Have You Heard?" and "Precious and Grace" are the less fulfilling tracks here, although they're not bad by any definition.  Another great album by one of the best, perhaps underrated bands out there.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment