Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Album Review: Queen - Queen (1973)

I've been itching to write another review of a Queen album, and hopefully one that proves more favorable than my review of A Night at the Opera.  Whilst not quite the magnum opus I was expecting, nonetheless there are a number of noteworthy numbers on their self-titled album from 1973.  Yes, most of it is more or less filler material, which is dangling precariously on the verge of being boring.  But the heavy metal influence is what I'm most interested in here - it's most evident on "Keep Yourself Alive", "Modern Times Rock 'N Roll" and "Son And Daughter."  And of course, it's those songs that I like best.  I also find "Jesus" to be quite interesting as well.  And the album ends with a half-baked rendition of the classic "Seven Seas of Rhye", the full version of which would ultimately find its way onto their next album, Queen II.  That was perhaps my biggest disappointment, I suppose.  From my point of view, this album is very much a very average album, even when it does show signs of potentially breaking away from being consigned to filler material (i.e. "Doing Alright").  All up, it's an OK record.  You could certainly do a lot worse.  B


No comments:

Post a Comment