Search This Blog

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Album Review: Pink Floyd - Animals (1977)

I've finally got around to listening to Animals by Pink Floyd.  It's an album that I probably should own, but I don't, and should've bought a long time ago.  Like its phenomenally good predecessor, Wish You Were Here, there are only five songs in total, and three of them are a bit of a stretch time wise.  Not bad, though, mind you.  But not the best songs to try and listen to when you've got a short attention span.  I struggled a bit with "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", but its lengthy nature (long enough to be broken up into separate tracks) was overshadowed by the fact that it was brilliant tribute to Syd Barrett, a stark contrast, in some ways, to the more pessimistic numbers we usually hear from that era of Pink Floyd.  But the musicianship of David Gilmour is at his best here, particularly on "Dogs."  My pick for best track here would be "Pigs", followed by "Dogs", and then "Sheep."  The bookend tracks, "Pigs on the Wing 1 + 2"  are merely supplementary.  Not a bad album at all.  But I still think I'll be sticking to Wish You Were Here and The Wall.  Oh, and perhaps A Momentary Lapse of Reason - those are my favorite Floyd albums, and most probably always will be.  B+


No comments:

Post a Comment