Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Album Review: AC/DC - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You) (1981)

Back in Black by AC/DC is without a doubt one of the best comeback albums ever made.  Despite losing an iconic vocalist, the band decided to trod on and carry on making music, as opposed to calling it quits.  Unlike other first albums with new vocalists (such as Van Halen III), it was unexpectedly brilliant, and Brian Johnson's voice only got better and better.  The followup album that I'm reviewing here, For Those About to Rock (We Salute You), isn't quite as good as its legendary predecessor.  The first few songs are good, but the album moves on into tired and boring numbers soon after that.  The second half of the album is more or less dismissable.  "I Put the Finger on You" and "Snowball" are my favorites from this album, and of course there's the title track that gets played often at their concerts, which is of course, good, but will never hold a candle to the likes of  "Shoot to Thrill" or "Hells Bells."  Still, the fact that I don't own this album in my AC/DC collection yet is even less excusable - average as the album is,  I still feel obligated to go out and get this album.  Now that I've heard it, maybe I have a bit more motivation to do so.  An average album, but worth owning nonetheless.  Streaming services just won't cut it.  B


No comments:

Post a Comment