Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Album Review: Kate Bush - Hounds of Love (1985)

Kate Bush has never done things by the book.  Her songs have always been a tad on the eccentric side - eccentric in a good way, I should add, in a way that shows that she could pull off a sound that's radically different to the norm of a given era and get away with it, whilst at the same time receiving glowing accolades instead of derision and repulsion.  I loved her debut album - "Wuthering Heights" and "Kite" will forever remain my two favorite songs from that album - and I've been busting to review this album for quite some time now.  And it's not bad at all.  I wouldn't say I love it - I can appreciate its outstanding quality, even if most of the songs here don't exactly resonate with yours truly.  "Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)" aside, there's a few songs I could find myself listening to a few times or more.  "Hounds of Love", "The Big Sky", "Jig of Life" and "Morning Earth" are my top picks here, with the middle of the album being very much hit and miss from my standpoint.  That being said, again, its credentials for quality are certainly well deserved.  A good album indeed, even if it doesn't quite float my own boat.  B+


No comments:

Post a Comment