Search This Blog

Saturday, February 22, 2020

Album Review: ABBA - Arrival (1976)

I've always wanted to listen to one of ABBA's studio albums.  The problem being, of course, is that I simply couldn't be assed.  I mean, with Gold, you more or less have everything you really need to hear from the group, bar a couple of other tracks, such as "Super Trouper" or "Honey, Honey."  Finally, I can now be assed listening to an ABBA studio album.  And I'm now glad that I did, because Arrival isn't a bad album at all, except for the Australian/NZ version, which contains "Fernando", which is by far my least favorite ABBA song.  Personally, I think the very impressive opening track, "When I Kissed the Teacher", should've been on Gold.  It is vastly better than "Fernando", in my opinion.  The only time I think they really cocked up on this album is with "My Love, My Life."  Too soppy, methinks.  "Tiger", "Happy Hawaii" and "Arrival" are also worth listening to on a semi-regular basis.  And let's not forget about the staples here - "Dancing Queen", "Knowing Me, Knowing You" and "Money, Money, Money."  A better sounding album than what I was expecting.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment