Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Album Review: The Police - Reggatta de Blanc (1979)

What can I say about the Police?  A great band, but underrated?  Perhaps not, but I sure as hell don't play their material enough.  Not with the same degree of rarity of the likes of Led Zeppelin, of course.  But in either case, I should be firing up an album or two of theirs on a more regular basis, even if it is just a greatest hits compilation album.  Now, I love both Synchronicity and Ghost in the Machine, so it was only a matter of time, really, that I checked out Regatta de Blanc.  And I must say that I really am better for having taken the initiative.  Eleven mostly solid tracks of reggae-tinged new wave and rock numbers, and not a bad number among them.  Of course, I have my allocated least favorite numbers.  On here, it is "Bring on the Night."  And "Does Everyone Stare" is pushing it a little bit.  But I could quite easily find myself playing this album right through without pushing the forward button once.  My initial conservatism was soon quashed as soon as the album ticked over into the titular "Reggatta de Blanc", and "It's Alright for You" helped to carry on the momentum for a bit.  "Message in a Bottle" and "Walking on the Moon" are also here for those familiar with their hits compilations.  Yet another album that proved to be better than what I was expecting.  Damn, I'm going to have to buy this one, I'm afraid!  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment