Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Album Review: Bee Gees - Trafalgar (1971)

The Bee Gees are a band for whom I feel utterly compelled to be in possession of one of their greatest hits compilations.  In fact, I have two for good measure.  They are a band that, when they made a hit, it hit hard.  Sure, they sound all too alike at times, but they pulled it off so well that, at the very least, you wouldn't care about that fact.  In fact, some, like me, actually appreciate that.  But as much as I like their greatest hits stuff, their album stuff needs a bit of a attention every now and then as well.  I loved Main Course, and Still Waters I felt was good for an album panned by many as being rubbish.  But I've given another early Bee Gees album a go, this time Trafalgar, as it is listed in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.  And it's an interesting mix.  The Beatles' influence seems to stick out a bit on parts, especially "It's Just the Way", with Maurice on vocals, it's a completely new listening experience for me.  "Israel" and "The Greatest Man in the World" are the top two for me here, and whilst the first side of the album tends to hold my interest well, it does slip a bit on side two, with "Walking Back to Waterloo" bringing things back into momentum.  All up, it's a good album, even when it does begin to sag two-thirds of the way in.  B+


No comments:

Post a Comment