Search This Blog

Saturday, November 30, 2019

Album Review: The Ramones - Road to Ruin (1978)

The first four Ramones albums are probably the most revered and respected, and I can see why - musically, their sound was so simple, and yet so captivating.  And to begin with, they weren't very good at playing their instruments either - their debut album is a bit sloppy in that regard - but nonetheless this was quickly overlooked in favor of the simple, yet surprisingly innovative sound that'd just arisen.  The first and third albums really do it for me - the debut, despite only having gone gold a mere few years ago, is one of the best debuts I have ever heard, and by the time Rocket to Russia came about, they'd quickly become more polished and more competent in their playing.  But of the first four albums, their fourth is my least favorite, although of course, this doesn't mean I would go so far as to consider it bad by any means.  "Don't Come Close", "I Wanna be Sedated", and "She's the One" are the songs I go to when I can't be assed playing the album from start to finish, and if I were really pressed to cherry-pick another song, I would probably go for "It's A Long Way Back."  "Needles & Pins" sticks out like a sore thumb with it's acoustic guitar, and everything else in between just sounds far too alike this time around.  In summary, this isn't a playthrough album, but there's certainly some good enough numbers here for me to cherry-pick at my own leisure.  B+


No comments:

Post a Comment