Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Album Review: Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Texas Flood (1983)

Stevie Ray Vaughan, the blues maestro that I never get around to listening to, aside from when I'm hearing him on the radio every now and then (back in the days, of course, when I did listen to the radio) or once every couple years via streaming music services such as Spotify.  Well, I'm back listening to Stevie on Spotify, and this time, I'm going to write a review on his 1983 album Texas Flood.  There are three really good gems to be found here - "Love Struck Baby", my absolute favorite, as well as "Pride and Joy" and "I'm Cryin'."  There's a great instrumental to be found with "Rude Mood", and I'm not particularly struck with the more eccentric "Dirty Pool." I do like "Tell Me" and "Texas Flood", and "Mary Had a Little Lamb" is quite tolerable, but I could easily see myself getting sick of it after a while.  This album is the closest to proper blues music that I've ever listened to (I do have a bit of penchant for blues rock outfits, such as ZZ Top and George Thorogood & The Destroyers, and note the 'rock' part) and if it weren't for the late Stevie Ray Vaughan's well known and well respected mastery with an axe, I probably would have gotten bored pretty damn quickly had it been recorded by anybody else of a lesser pedigree.  Yeah, I'd call it a good album.  B+


No comments:

Post a Comment