Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Album Review: The Doors - L.A. Woman (1971)

It's high time I did a review of a Doors album.  They're a bit like Led Zeppelin to me - a lot of great songs - but I seldom find myself listening to them.  And like Led Zeppelin, I often finding myself savoring the moment in my inadvertently self-imposed disconnection from the band's music.  It's not that I have any beef with the band, however.  Rather, I simply find myself lacking any impetus or tendency to gravitate toward them whenever I'm in the mood for that style of music (and yes, I'm a big, big classic rock fan, so I'm almost always in the mood).  Pink Floyd, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Van Halen are all big name bands I crank up whenever I need to rock out.  But never The Doors or Led Zeppelin, for some reason.  No matter, I'm not just savoring my time listening to L.A. Woman - I'm actually quite enjoying it.  The first side of the album is particularly strong - "The Changeling", "Love Her Madly", "Been Down So Long" and "Cars Hiss by My Window" make up a sterling first half.  Smack bang in the middle, you have the all-time classic "L.A. Woman", which is always a good song to be hearing.  Side two, however, gets a bit rougher, but always manages to stay respectable.  "L'America" is a bit of an oddball, if I'm being honest, but "Crawling King Snake" and "The WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat)" bring me back into the game.  "Riders on the Storm", another classic track, bookends the second half of the album.  I was expecting to hear a decent album when I first started listening to it, and I wasn't disappointed.  A great album, one that everybody should listen to at least once.  Now, to the record store!  A


No comments:

Post a Comment