Search This Blog

Saturday, June 22, 2019

Album Review: Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage, Acts I, II & III (1979)

I've always been intrigued by Frank Zappa, despite not having listened to his music that much. I saw his album artwork in the media, read up about him in the press, and I always thought that I should get around to checking out his music at some stage.  Well, a couple of years ago, I stumbled across a few of his songs - "Willie The Pimp", "Joe's Garage" and "Watermelon in Easter Hay."  I thought they were all great songs. Well, I finally got around to check out Joe's Garage, Acts I, II & III, the album on which that the latter two can be found.  And it's not a bad album, although I do think I came across the best tracks with "Joe's Garage" and "Watermelon in Easter Hay."  Strange, eccentric, hilarious at times and with some great guitar solos to boot, I can appreciate the fanfare surrounding Zappa's unique way of making music.  Even among his more eccentric moments (of which, of course, there are many) there are the more mainstream sounding numbers like "Joe's Garage."  And "Watermelon in Easter Hay" must surely be one of the greatest guitar solos I have ever heard.  The CD version is comprised of two discs, with much of the guitar solo-heavy stuff on disc number two.  "A Little Green Rosetta",  "Catholic Girls", "Fembot in a Wet T-Shirt" and "Outside Now" are a few more selections for you to check out.  My verdict, different, but not bad, either.  B+ 


No comments:

Post a Comment