Search This Blog

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Album Review: Dire Straits - Love Over Gold (1982)

I always loved the song "Industrial Disease" by Dire Straits - borderline cheesy, with a melodic sound that sounded almost like a hybrid cross between the Traveling Wilburys and Racey. Simple, no frills pop rock, it was.  And for many years, it was my only exposure to the album that I am reviewing here, Love Over Gold.  The funny thing is, it is in fact the Achilles heel of the entire record.  I really should have listened to this album decades ago, when I was first getting into Dire Straits.  Hiding under a rock is one of the worse things you can do - ignorance isn't bliss, and this album is bloody brilliant.  It's bedtime as I write this, but bugger it, staying up was well worth it.  There are only a handful of songs on the album - five, in fact, but this is simply due to the length of the songs.  "Telegraph Road" is over fourteen minutes of brilliance long, and "It Never Rains" is bang on eight. "Industrial Disease" is the shortest at a more attention-span friendly 5:48.  I'm absolutely loving "Private Investigations" and "Love Over Gold" as well. In wrapping up this shortish review, let me just say that I for one am so glad I decided to give this a listen when I did.  And now it's your turn. Give it a whirl, I hope you won't be disappointed.  Because I sure as hell wasn't.  A


No comments:

Post a Comment