Search This Blog

Saturday, May 4, 2019

Album Review: Rod Stewart - Every Beat of My Heart (1986)

The eighties for the most part certainly weren't kind to Rod Stewart.  The phenomenon that was his career in the 1970s, as marked by hits such as "Maggie May", "You Wear It Well" and the like seemed to evaporate as he tried to reinvent himself for the new wave era, which met with limited success.  Yes, he was still pushing out hits, but nothing of course that was of the same quality of his seventies material.  Camouflage was an awful album in nearly every aspect, the only thing saving it were songs like "Some Guys Have All The Luck", which, despite being the biggest and best song on the album, was still rubbish, cheesy even, which took at best a deep-rooted nostalgia for the era that would make you bring out the album on the very rare occasion.  Foolish Behaviour wasn't much better, either.  I still play one track on the album, "She Won't Dance With Me", because to my surprise it was actually a good song.  I am, however, somewhat fond of Tonight I'm Yours.  But I'm surprised that the album that I'm currently reviewing, Every Beat of My Heart from 1986, is curiously better than what everybody else has been saying.  Of course, some of songs lean a bit too far toward the cheesy side, but still, they're much better than the disaster that was Camouflage.  Several songs on this album are good - "Another Heartache", "Ten Days of Rain", "Red Hot in Black", "Every Beat of My Heart" and "Love Touch" have been getting visited on more occasions than what I perhaps should be admitting to.  But I'm not trying to ply any trade based on my credibility as a music nut - yeah, I like it.  Who really cares.  Now, shut up!  B+


No comments:

Post a Comment