Search This Blog

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Album Review: J.J. Cale - Naturally (1972)

Listening to this album brings me to Bob Dylan by way of two separate chronological references - The opening track, the brilliant "Call Me The Breeze" hails back in some ways (albeit more polished) to several Bringing It All Back Home numbers - perhaps in particular, "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and "Outlaw Blues" (with a dash of Clapton's "Lay Down Sally" in there for good measure, of course).  Likewise, the rest of the album reminds me of Dylan's more contemporary offerings, especially with regards to his voice.  And how is the album?  Well, it's not a bad album, but for the most part it isn't my cup of tea either.  "Call Me The Breeze" might have me dancing like an epileptic sparrow with one leg and a busted wing that's perching on an electric fence, and "After Midnight" is a classic that belongs on any respectable classic rock play list.  "Clyde" appeals to my need for tempo, but only enough to be played on a few occasions.  The rest of the album, whilst not rubbish in any sense, just doesn't have the momentum to keep me focused.  "Crazy Mama" is certainly worth listening to, although I probably won't be listening to it that often.  All in all, it's not a bad album, but aside for the tracks mentioned earlier, it's unlikely to get much love from me in the long run.  B


No comments:

Post a Comment