Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Album Review: Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (1975)

Rumours is without a doubt Fleetwood Mac's greatest album.  But it certainly wasn't the first great album from them.  Their self-titled album from 1975 is yet more proof that over-reliance on 'greatest hits' and 'best of' compilations is always going to be a bad thing.  For a while now I've been pointing out that there is more to a studio album than its greatest hits, i.e. the songs everybody knows, courtesy of the radio stations.  I'm glad I invested in a copy of this album for this very reason.  The album is full of radio playlist staples, but there's the overlooked tracks that are dire need of some attention as well.  "Blue Letter" is a song I've been waiting for for so long now.  And "Sugar Daddy" isn't too bad a ditty either.  "Warm Ways" and "Crystal" are a little too sluggish for my personal preference, and that latter has too much of a Bread vibe too it.  But there's plenty of hits of course - good hits, I should add - to make this album essential buying.  Or streaming, whatever your preference is.  "Rhiannon", "Say You Love Me" and "Over My Head", amongst others, all remind me that the tenner I invested in this record was money well spent.  Stick this album on your next playlist.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment