Search This Blog

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Album Review: Genesis - Invisible Touch (1986)

For me Genesis is an extension of Phil Collins, and not the other way around.  I grew up listening to Phil Collins, ever since I was maybe four or five - about the time this album and his solo record, No Jacket Required were doing the rounds of the radio airwaves.  I don't think this post, or any of the other posts on this blog for that matter, would exist had it not been for Phil Collins instilling within me a passion for popular music at a young and formative age.  And no matter how much Phil gets bashed by people for whatever reason, I'll still stand by him and his music.  But his work with Genesis - the Genesis that I know and am most familiar with, is for the most part as interesting as his earlier solo work ever was.  Some might perhaps argue that it's better.  But there's no denying that the landmark album being reviewed here, Invisible Touch, is a good album.  A good number of the songs here have all received radio airplay - "Invisible Touch", "Throwing it All Away" and "Land of Confusion" for instance, will all inevitably find themselves on an 80s playlist at some point.  But there's more to the album than the staple numbers - "Anything She Does" is certainly worth listening to.  All up, this is an album worth owning.  I certainly liked it.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment