Search This Blog

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Album Review: The Bee Gees - Main Course (1975)

Main Course from 1975 is a landmark album for The Bee Gees for a number of reasons.  Firstly, getting R & B producer Ardi Mardin onboard helped to infuse a more R & B sound into the mix.  Secondly, the opening track, "Nights on Broadway" is best known as the debut song of Barry Gibb's now legendary falsetto.  Both of which, of course, went onto to cement that signature Bee Gees sound.  Saturday Night Fever from 1977 perhaps encapsulates and exemplifies this best - "Nights on Broadway" was never as well known as "Stayin' Alive" or "Night Fever", both songs which we tend to recall when the name "Bee Gees" is invoked.

But moving on to the "main course."  What else can be said about this album?  The first time I heard this album my impressions were initially lukewarm, but having given it a second chance, my opinion has shifted in a more favorable direction.  I can even overlook Robin Gibb's quivering vocals on this one, and I've never been a fan of his voice -  he sounded much more suited to a folk trio than a pop band.  Top song on this album goes to "All This Making Love" because of its pseudo-Beatlesque sound.  And I love that, because I love The Beatles.  Other songs to consider are "Jive Talkin", "Nights on Broadway" and "Fanny (Be Tender With My Love)."  "Winds of Change" deserves a playthrough as well.  So go and play it.  How was it?  Delicious.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment