Search This Blog

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Album Review: Green Day - Dookie (1994)

Green Day, for me, has the accolade of being one of the very few 90's rock bands I actually like. Along with the likes of The Offspring and Rancid, they successfully reintroduced punk rock back into the mainstream. Pop music flourished and produced countless memorable hits during this era, but for me, rock was nearly dead. Comatose and on life support, would be a better way of putting it. But, to be honest I must confess I'm a closet punk rock fanatic, despite my many years of living in denial. Discovering the greatness of punk for me, is like a morbidly obese unemployed bricklayer making a futile attempt to jump for joy after seeing his penis for the first time since he was 6. And after listening to Dookie, their breakthrough album, I feel like a serial arsonist walking into a convienience store to buy a new lighter. Of course, there's the tracks that got airplay, like "When I Come Around", and "Basket Case", but forget about those, everybody likes them. To really appreciate this record, listen to the rest of the album, and you'll be glad you were stingy enough to take notice of the bargain bin outside the front of the record store. A-


2 comments:

  1. Can we have some pictures in your reviews (of the album covers)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dookie is a great album, but I think Greenday were at their best at American Idiot (the album), even though the songs were so long (particularly 'Jesus of suburbia').

    ReplyDelete