Search This Blog

Saturday, July 25, 2020

Waylon Jennings - Sweet Mother Texas (1986)

Having milked Johnny Cash for his very best, and needless to say you'll be extremely busy on that front, on account of the fact that there is A LOT of his that could be considered his best, I've decided to make the jump to Waylon Jennings for a change and find out what the other Highwayman is like.  I've known a few songs of his for a while now, most of which aren't his most famous, either.  Songs like "Nobody Knows", a song about Waylon supposedly being Elvis himself, and his impeccable rendition of Bruce Springsteen's "I'm on Fire."  It's the album from which the latter comes from that I'm reviewing right here, and needless to say that it's a mixed bag, with some good songs, and some very average songs too.  The first half is a bit heavier on the good tracks, such as "I'm on Fire", "Me and Them Brothers of Mine", and "I Take My Comfort in You", although the album finishes on a better note with "Hanging On."  I could probably get used to "Living Legend", too.  But everything else, such as "Looking For Suzanne" are worth skipping.  Even Johnny Cash's guest appearance on "Be Careful Who You Love" fails to save the song from the dustbin of disinterest.  But that Springsteen cover?  Well, that's the album's real saving grace.  B


No comments:

Post a Comment