Search This Blog

Saturday, December 31, 2022

Album Review: Dire Straits - Communique (1979)

 I love Dire Straits.  And I’ve loved them since the first time I heard “Money for Nothing” on the radio back in the early nineties.  But I’ve never loved them as the strictly guitar-focused band of their early career.  I’ve always liked them when they incorporated keyboards and synths into the mix.  For that reason, whenever I play a Dire Straits record, it usually is either Love Over Gold or Brothers In Arms.  I had acquired so many Dire Straits records that when I spotted Communique in the CD section of my local music store, I couldn’t resist picking it up cheap, in part to satisfy my completionist proclivities.  And I’m glad I did, one way or another.  It’s not as impressive as the self-titled debut-album – not by a long shot – but there is enough here to give this album a playthrough every now and then.  The highlights here are “Where Do You Think You’re Going?”, “Single Handed Sailor”, “Portobello Belle”, and of course, “Lady Writer.”  Not a bad album at all, but as far as I’m concerned, it couldn’t hold a candle to its predecessor.  B+


No comments:

Post a Comment