Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Album Review: New Order - Low-life (1985)

Expecting a lukewarm album, and yet strangely simultaneously expecting something good, given New Order's good reputation and legacy as a new wave band, my surprise upon listening to this album is nearly palpable.  Prior to this, my only experience with New Order's music was with their smash hit, "Blue Monday."  I'm getting a lot of The Cure vibes listening to this album - The Cure are a band that, when I do listen to them (on the very rare occasion, I might add) - I quickly find myself glued to and enveloped in their sound, which is of course brilliant, and for me sometimes often feels like the better and more carefully crafted sound of the popular music aspect of the eighties.  Most of this album is pretty damn good - "The Perfect Kiss" and "Sub-culture" are my faves here - "Love Vigilantes" and "Face Up" are runners up, with the rest of the album, particularly "Sunrise" getting the "OK" recommendation from yours truly.  Like so many other albums and bands, I'm wishing I had sat down and listened to this earlier, because there's some great stuff here.  7/10 would recommend.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment