Search This Blog

Saturday, January 4, 2020

Album Review: Rod Stewart - Foolish Behaviour (1980)

I was initially expecting this album to be bad - A half-baked contract filler replete with weak songwriting and dull melodies, another album from a 70's superstar that struggled seemingly desperately to keep with the sounds of the new era of the eighties.  And there are numerous examples of weak songwriting to be found here - "Passion", "Foolish Behaviour" and "So Soon We Change" feel like they were added to the album because they were the best of a bad lot, although to be fair, "Passion" sounded a bit promising, even perhaps, a tad Pink Floyd-like, and I can respect it for that.  The biggest surprise for me here was "Oh God, I Wish I Was Home Tonight", a notable improvement on the previous trio.  "She Won't Dance With Me" is quintessential Rod Stewart, and is my favorite here.  "Better Off Dead" and "Gi' Me Wings" are actually not bad, and "Somebody Special" is better than what my listening habits would tend to argue.  Some people might think this album is terrible, others may argue that it's somewhat of an acquired taste - I tend to think it's a bit of both.  Hell, even "Say it Ain't True" has begun to grow on me a little bit.  B



No comments:

Post a Comment