Search This Blog

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Album Review: Dragon - Bondi Beach (1989)

Dragon, a band perhaps torn by identity depending on the nationality of the person you are asking.  Some say they are Kiwi (they started off in Auckland, after all).  Others say they're Australian (they hit the big time in Australia).  Some say they're both.  But no matter which team you side with, there's no question they had some great hits.  Their seventies work is their best known and most successful stuff.  But even in the eighties they were still putting out quality songs - "Rain" is perhaps the best known example.  I'm listening to Bondi Beach from 1989,  and I never initially planned to review it at all.  I looked up the opening track "Young Years" in Spotify and the rest of the album showed up.  So anyway, I was sidetracked by the time the song finished, and I let the album carry on.  And I'm kind of glad that I did - sometimes there are good accidents, and this is one of them.  Lyrics wise, it's not the best.  But the music is pretty good, and the ratio of good songs to duds weighs heavily on the good side.  There are only four tracks that I'm not too thrilled about here - "Here I Am", "Family Man", "Runaway" and "Good Time Girl."  Not bad, but not interesting, either, and the album finishes off with their own rendition of "Celebration" by Kool & The Gang.  And it's not too bad, either.  A good album.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment