Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Album Review: Green Day - American Idiot (2004)

I meant to review this album some time ago, but never got around to it and my intention to do so was subsequently put on the back burner.  Well, now is the time, almost ten years after my last review of a Green Day album, Dookie.  It's actually not a bad album at all - when it first came out I found myself liking the hits a lot.  In fact, I thought they were so good I went out and bought the album.  And now, despite it having sat in my collection for a good 15 years now, I've finally got around to reviewing it.  The first "side" or "half" of the album is easily the best part, like Hotel California by The Eagles, except the second side, whilst been the less exciting half, isn't bad or even dull.  Most of the radio hits like "American Idiot" and "Holiday" are in the first half, with "Wake Me Up When September Ends" is situated toward the end of the album.  All the hits, including "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" I still like, and "St. Jimmy" has been popular with me for some time now.  I've started to like "Letter Bomb" quite a bit, and even the aforementioned "Wake Me Up When September Ends" has started to grow on me.  It's pretty good for a concept album, especially a 21st century concept album, and whilst my regard for it has waned a bit over the years, I'm still very glad I bought this album when I did.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment