Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Album Review: Bloodhound Gang - Hooray for Boobies (1999)

My purile, more juvenile proclivities just love the Bloodhound Gang, even when the critics don't.  Too much filth, they say?  To hell with them!  Any realist who isn't a pretentious prick will tell you dirty jokes are funnier than clean ones, and this band just loves dabbling with the filthy and politically incorrect.  I loved One Fierce Beer Coaster when it first came out - schoolyard smut, clever lyrics and some OK rapping to boot - critics sure didn't like it.  But I did, and so did millions of other people.  That was back in 1996.  I finally got around to listening to Hooray for Boobies in its entirety, 20 years later.  Starting off great, it begins to falter as it approaches the half-way mark, only to make a comeback with the likes of "A Lapdance is So Much Better When the Stripper is Crying" and "Along Comes Mary."  "The Bad Touch" is guaranteed to get people's heads moving, and "Hell Yeah" takes me back to One Fierce Beer Coaster, specifically "Your Only Friends Are Make Believe" and perhaps "I Wish I Was Queer so I Could Get Chicks."  In wrapping up, it's not quite at the level of its predecessor, but still, it's uncouth, funny, and a thorn in the side of puritan snobbish types.  So, based on those attributes alone, it's fair to say that I like it.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment