Search This Blog

Saturday, June 8, 2019

Album Review: Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (1987)

It's high time I did a GNR album review.  And here it is, going back to the very beginning, and with what is considered by most people to be their best album ever - Appetite for Destruction.  As I write this, it has been a while since I've listened to GNR, and it's about damn time I started listening to them again.  It's funny, I was completely indifferent to Guns N' Roses music as a kid, but then again, I was indifferent to all forms of hard rock and heavy metal at that time.  But like most heavy metal and hard rock music, things have changed drastically.  Heavy metal is the best thing to happen to music as far as I'm concerned, and Guns N' Roses easily has one of the best vocalists in the music business in Axl Rose.  When I was first getting into GNR I stuck to the Greatest Hits album - all their best work is on there, obviously - but then I went out and bought Use Your Illusion I.  Having enjoyed the album a lot, I then decided to invest in their lauded debut record, Appetite for Destruction. Not as good as what I was expecting, particularly from what is regarded as being one of the best records ever made, but it certainly wasn't shite, either.  Nonetheless, the songwriting is solid, Axl's voice is as brilliant as it will ever be and there's plenty of choice cuts to indulge yourself with.  "Welcome to the Jungle", "Paradise City" "Nightrain", "Sweet Child O' Mine" - the singles you all know and love, are all ace, and you can't go wrong with "Mr. Brownstone", "It's So Easy" and "My Michelle", either.  My verdict - a very good album, and one you should own if you are nuts for GNR.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment