Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Album Review: Icehouse - Primitive Man (1982)

Having previously reviewed Icehouse's debut album, Icehouse (or Flowers, depending on how you look at it) I found it to be an excellent album, with many a surprise and some great hits to boot.  It was a confusing album regarding the title - the band was initially called Flowers, with the album called Icehouse.  Iva Davies subsequently renamed the band Icehouse, so there's a bit of confusion here I suppose as to whether to call the album Flowers or Icehouse.  I myself tend to stick to the first one.  It's being a while since I wrote that review, and I feel the time is right to review another.  Primitive Man from 1982 is itself surprisingly good, and having "Great Southern Land" on it always make the visit worthwhile even if it turns out to be the only good song on the album.  Of course, it's not.  I've always liked "Uniform", "Hey Little Girl" and the instrumental, "Glam", but the very Bowiesque "Mysterious Thing" and the respectable "Break These Chains" certainly need a good listening to as well.  "Street Cafe" is a bit on the dull side and it won't hurt to give it a miss. Otherwise, this is a very respectable album, with of course, a great opening track in "Great Southern Land."  Very good indeed.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment