Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Album Review: Anthrax - State of Euphoria (1988)

For metal thrashing goodness there are four bands that you can really count on - Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica and Slayer.  Hell, they're the staple of the genre.  I've thrashed Metallica to death, Megadeth every now and then, I've somehow gone off Slayer, and Anthrax I play on the odd occasion nowadays.  I really should be cranking them up more often, as they've got some great material - Spreading the Disease is my personal favorite, and you can't go wrong with Among the Living, either.  It turns out that State of Euphoria is pretty damn good too.  Not quite as good as the other aforementioned two albums, but it still commands a good deal of respect.  Well, at least it commands my respect anyway.  The very first Anthrax album I bought was The Collection, and there are a number of songs from that compilation here - "Out of Sight, Out of Mind", "Make me Laugh", "Anti-Social" and "Misery Loves Company" - almost half the album, which always says something about the album when a good portion of the track list makes it to the compilation records.  "Be All, End All", "Who Cares Wins" are pretty damn good as well, and the record concludes on a high note with "Finale." A highly respectable album, indeed.  Now, go out and get it!  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment