Search This Blog

Friday, September 28, 2018

Album Review: Tina Turner - Private Dancer (1984)

I recently decided to give this album a bit of a spin, having read various reviews on it, with most of them holding it in high esteem.  And for the most part I think they're right.  I seldom listen to anything by Tina Turner nowadays, but know all the big hits nonetheless.  And so I decided to try something new, and I'm glad I did with Private Dancer.  The album starts on a fantastic note with "I Might Have Been Queen" and the classic "What's Love Got To Do With It"  "Better Be Good To Me" is my favorite out of the lot of them, and "Steel Claw" takes on a rather "Meat Loaf-esque, Wagnerian rock kind of song that I like more than I probably should.  "Private Dancer" was originally written by Mark Knopfler and recorded by Dire Straits, and it shows.  She even sings a remarkable cover of the Beatles' hit, "Help!", and suffice to say she could've done much worse.  It's not an album that will have you dancing willy-nilly around your abode, but it's an interesting and remarkable album nonetheless.  B+


No comments:

Post a Comment