Search This Blog

Monday, August 21, 2017

Album Review: The Highwaymen - Highwayman 2 (1990)

The Highwaymen.  Another fine supergroup that you ought to be listening to.  Some of outlaw country's greats are all here - Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and Kris Kristofferson. And together they made some great songs too, such as their best known "Highwaymen."  I'm listening to (and reviewing, of course) their second album, Highwaymen 2 from 1990.  Not a bad album at all - a bit better than their more critically receptive debut album as far as I'm concerned.  I was hoping it would be perhaps a wee bit better, but nonetheless I'm not going to complain.  I've always loved Johnny Cash, and he shines on this album, as do Willie and Waylon, both of whom wrote some great songs as well.  I must admit I'm not so familiar with Kris Kristofferson, however, aside from Cash's exemplary version of "Sunday Morning Coming Down", which quickly became a staple of every reputable Johnny Cash hits album.  Two songs stand out for me here - "Silver Stallion" and "American Remains."  The rest is OK, and are certainly worth exploring.  But they have nothing on the aforementioned two.  Not too shabby at all.  B+


No comments:

Post a Comment