Search This Blog

Friday, February 17, 2017

Album Review: Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of The Moon (1973)

Wish You Were Here is probably my favorite Pink Floyd album, and the post-Waters A Momentary Lapse of Reason strikes a chord with me as well.  But neither found their way onto bedroom walls like The Dark Side of the Moon ever did.  It spent fifteen years on the charts, sold 45 million odd copies, and is likely the first album to pop into people's heads whenever it finds its way into musical discourses.  Moving quickly into the track analysis, "Money" is the biggest and most famous track here.  But it certainly isn't the best.  For me, that particular reservation goes to "Time."  I don't play this album very often - the aforementioned albums, plus The Wall, and even The Final Cut get most of the love.  And perhaps I should listen to it more often - its status as a magnum opus-type masterpiece is quickly reasserted as I hear the band at their best on "The Great Gig in the Sky."  "Us and Them", "Brain Damage" and "Eclipse" are the other favorites on this album.  Why I don't play this record as much as I should continues to elude me - after all, 45 million copies sold can't be wrong, can they?  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment