Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2016

Album Review: The Commodores - Machine Gun (1974)

Most of my favorite instrumentals are of the heavy metal variety - Metallica, I'm looking at you in particular.  But there is one non-metal instrumental that I regard very, very favorably.  In fact, it's so good it's the title of an album!  Here's a hint - it's a type of automatic firearm.  Some of you may have already guessed by now - yep, Machine Gun by The Commodores.  Bar two successive slips, the album is brilliant.  First half is back-to-back epic funk numbers - "Machine Gun", the title track, never fails to satisfy, nor does it's "sister" instrumental, "Rapid Fire."  I'm loving both of them.  The nowadays questionably titled, "Young Girls are My Weakness" is a great second number, followed by "I Feel Satisfied" and "The Bump", all good solid funk numbers that all up make up the excellent side one of the album.  Side two gets off to a less impressive, if not slightly disappointing start with "Assembly Line" and "The Zoo (The Human Zoo)."  But this is quickly rectified by the much better, "Gonna Blow Your Mind", "There's a Song in My Heart" and to end it all in spectacular fashion, the epic, "Superman."  A great debut not just by The Commodores, but by any band, really.  In fact, I haven't been this impressed by a debut album since Cyndi Lauper's She's So Unusual.  And just like Lionel's 80s hit, this album could've had me 'dancing on the ceiling.'  For me at least, this record is definitely a keeper.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment