Search This Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Album Review: Whitesnake - Whitesnake/1987 (1987)

It's amazing how one's perceptions of certain albums can potentially change over the years.  Of course, there will always be albums that will never get better.  But on occasion, revisiting what you once considered a dud can come back and bite you in the ass.  When I first heard Whitesnake's eponymous album from 1987 (in some markets, this album is known as 1987) there were the two power ballads, "Here I Go Again" and "Is This Love", which I loved and still love, and then there was the rest of the album, which at the time I thought, "meh, not my thing."  But in a rare change of heart, in hindsight I was mistaken.  Listening to it again I'm thinking, "this is actually a bloody good album."  Its classic hard rock/heavy metal sensibilities have quickly grown on me considerably since the last 10-12 years or so since I last heard the album.  If you loved the two aforementioned power ballads, and you usually don't listen to hard rock or heavy metal, then this album is definitely not for you.  Some of the other songs have of course grown on me - "Give Me All Your Love", "You're Gonna Break My Heart Again", "Bad Boys", and "Straight For The Heart" are great examples to start with.  I'm really glad I chose to review this album.  And I am definitely regretting my initial perceptions of this great album.  But that was 10-12 years ago, of course.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment