Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Album Review: Rod Stewart - Tonight I'm Yours (1981)

Tonight I'm Yours, Rod Stewart's album from 1981 flies in the face of everything I've expected from Rod Stewart.  Most songs of his that I know of (I'm no expert on his music, but  I know enough to say that he makes great music) tend to be of a slower, more mellow tempo (with the exception of "Young Turks", which comes from this particular album), and despite my preference for a fast song, I'm highly amicable toward all of them.  This album changes all of that (not my amiability, of course!), introducing a number of fast-paced tracks, three of which are "just the bee's knees", including the better known "Young Turks", which I rank as one of Rod's best.  "Tonight, I'm Yours" is a fantastic little number, and "Tora, Tora, Tora" is just as quick too.  All three of those songs together form a quintessential trinity that make for priority listening if you are looking for choice cuts to listen to first before actually delving into the rest of the album.  And of course, not every song is a musical speedball.  Some are actually cover versions - "How Long" by Paul Carrack and "Just Like a Woman" by Bob Dylan for example.  To sum it up briefly, the album sounds motivated, and of course, good.  Check it out some time.  B+


No comments:

Post a Comment