Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Album Review: Judas Priest - British Steel (1980)

OK, enough with the A grade ratings you might say.  Enough with all the metal reviews, you may ask.  But I'm going to get this off my chest while the iron is still hot.  And yes, that is is a pun.  Sort of.  Let's face it - I LOOOVE heavy metal music.  Some say it's uncouth and unsophisticated.  Others say it's the work of the devil.  But ignorance, contrary to popular belief, is seldom bliss.  So many albums prove this to be the case - Ace of Spades by Motorhead, Master of Puppets by Metallica, - Reign in Blood by Slayer, The Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden.  The list goes on.  And on.  And on.  But it is a genre that is misunderstood by those who seldom listen to it, and often fully unappreciated by those who do.  But it has put out some corking works -  British Steel by Judas Priest is an example of this.  Initially it wasn't metal enough for me.  But now I appreciate it for the magnum opus that it actually is.  Hell, even Beavis and Butt-head can appreciate the finer aspects of "Breaking the Law."  And I can see why.  I can also see why "Living After Midnight" is so respected.  But my favorites after the former are "Rapid Fire", "Metal Gods", followed by "United."  This album commands respect.  I hope it commands yours.  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment