Search This Blog

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Album Review: ZZ Top - Afterburner (1985)

Big-bearded boogie rockers ZZ Top really struck the jackpot when they released Eliminator in 1983.  It preserved the boogie-woogie bluesy sound they had maintained since the early 1970s, and supplemented that sound with synthesizers, creating in the process a hard rock/boogie/new wave/blues concoction for the 1980s.  And what a brilliant album it was.  I loved it, I love it now, and I will always love it.  And after reading reviews for its follow-up album, Afterburner, I quickly felt rather disappointed.  For me, this was a continuation of Eliminator - the ongoing use of synthesizers, the "Eliminator" hotrod on the cover, even the sound wasn't a huge derviation from that of its critically acclaimed predecessor.  But I insist, I absolutely insist that Afterburner is a great album.  "Sleeping Bag", "Stages", "Woke Up With Wood", "Planet of Women" and "Delirious."  Bugger it, I may as well list every damn song on the album.  They're all good.  Well, 'Dipping Low (in the Lap of Luxury) may be a tad lackluster.  I hope you come to the same conclusion that I have, and never mind what other reviews might dare to say about this record.  It's fantastic. A+


No comments:

Post a Comment