Search This Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Album Review: Fine Young Cannibals - The Raw & The Cooked (1988)

The soundtrack to my 1989, FYC's second and final album, The Raw & The Cooked is replete with some of the finest ditties to have ever come out of pop music.  Roland Gift fills the niche of a lead singer with the distinct and inimitable voice - it can be difficult to ascertain to understand what he is singing about, and indeed, a lyrics sheet would certainly come in handy.  But like Bryan Ferry, David Bowie and Barry Gibb, there's nobody else in the business who sounds like him, or comes close to sounding like him.  When this first came out, this was the closest I'd get to listening to hard rock - I loathed the stuff at the time, preferring the new wave, synthpop, and pop rock genres, which of course were all the style at the time.  But my 20 year standing affection for hard rock has not relegated my interest in this album to the back burners one iota - this remains one of the best albums I've ever heard.  Just listen to songs like "She Drives Me Crazy", "Good Thing", "Don't Look Back", and "I'm Not the Man I Used to Be" and you'll understand why I like this album like I do.  It's quintessential late 80s listening for you.  A+

No comments:

Post a Comment