Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Album Review: Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)

I've known about the Canadian band Rush for a long time now.  Like many other bands, I just never got around to listening to their music.  Well I finally got around to it.  And like many other bands, I'm pleased that I did.  The album that I'm currently reveling in is Moving Pictures from 1981, and what an interesting, and overall pleasing album it is.  When I first began listening to the first track, "Tom Sawyer" my first impressions were "it's different."  Yes it is.  But its a favorable kind of different.  I love the synthesizers on this album.  I love the seemingly randomized, perhaps disorganized, nature of tracks like "YYZ" - that's not a particularly articulate description really, but it shall suffice I guess.  All up, there are some great sounds being made on this album, and not just those being put out by synthesizers, either.  If I were to describe this album in one line, I suppose I would say, "It sounds like a utopian, futurist spin on Black Sabbath."  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Good job, Rush, you've won me over with this album.  My faves - "Red Barchetta" and "Limelight."  A-


No comments:

Post a Comment